Wednesday, August 11, 2010

colorful dorms...

I ran a few errands today after staff meeting. Went to the mall to pick up our curtains for the living room. They were suppose to be in LAST friday...they weren't. They said come back wednesday & we should have them. I showed up today & nope. ANNOYED. I'm just ready to have the blanket off the window :)

Then I went to get my ring clean. I haven't had it cleaned since the wedding...(almost 5 months ago) & decided it was time. It is SOOO shiny now! :) Oh and for fun I tried on the band that goes with my ring. i like it. Hopefully within this next year or the next i can get a band :)

Then, i went to Target. I needed to get shaving cream & deodorant for my hubby. Of course I had to at least walk past the clothes & eye everything and browse the shoes. It's a must. I still have birthday money to Target, so i look for places to spend it EVERY time i'm there. While I was browsing i noticed that lining the outside of the store & throughout the store there were ALLLLL these college "essentials" (they call them) begging to be bought. I noticed young moms & young daughters loading up their baskets with stuff for the dorm. It was obvious when they have the shower caddy, microwave, fridge, and SUPER colorful towels. You HAVE TO HAVE colorful towels, bulletin board, and comforter. DUH. ;)

It made me really excited to meet freshmen. But it also sparked this other thought about freshmen (well college students in general). They are starting to build, claim, establish their own identity. Where does that start as a freshmen in the dorm? It starts with the BEST dorm room with the BEST decorations (that practically make me want to vomit at times...TOO MUCH! I mean, yes I had this as a freshmen too..but still) If you rush & "get picked" for the BEST sorority--you have another identity. Guys shuffle over to the Rec and play basketball...gotta be known on the court. Or they have the Wii, PlayStation, Nintendo cube & 2,304 games...they are the hot stuff on the floor. As the semester continues the identity can shift to good grades, group of friends, the girl or guy you are dating, and things you are involved in.

Where is God in all this?

I came into college as a christian. But I definitely walked this line of identity crisis...especially freshman year. I bounced from friend group to friend group throughout college. Luckily, I came out with a handful of friends that are life time friends. But still had a hard time being secure with my identity found in Christ.

I pray freshmen students could find their identity in Christ first. Day one when they leave their parents. It's hard, I understand. I pray that they would get connected quickly with a Christian community either through church or ministry on campus. I pray that they would walk with Christ for a lifetime. I pray that they make wise choices that will honor God. I pray that they would understand that what they experience or do in college WILL effect your future jobs & relationships. Ultimately, I want them to experience Christ quickly in college & not wait until their Junior or Senior year to realize they have missed out on a relationship with God throughout all of college.

Will you pray with me?
-Kells

1 comment:

Kim Marcos said...

Loved this one! On the prayer walk yesterday, Brett and I prayed a lot of these same things for freshman. I was caught of guard by getting extremely choked up when I was praying for them. Glad you are praying too :)