Wednesday, November 10, 2010

summer project!

Last night our ministry hosted a Summer Project Dinner. We had over 50 students come to hear more information about SP's. If only you could even understand a LITTLE about how much that makes my heart so HAPPY. I love summer project.

Why?

Because my life was changed at Hampton Beach Summer Project 2006

It was there that I realized I don't understand Prayer or have a prayer life. I joined the prayer team to learn more & ended up leading it once the staff left. GROWTH.

It was there that I finally understand what vulnerability is. I shared things with people that I never thought I could share about. This summer changed my relationships back home forever. It shaped my future relationships. I know understand why "being in the light" with sin is incredibly important.

It was there that I realized the guy I was dating wasn't who I was suppose to marry. I thought we had a healthy, good relationship. I had friends & staff point me to the Bible and when I started comparing it to the Word I realized QUICKLY our good Christian relationship, really wasn't that at all. We broke up after the summer. Praise the Lord for this, because I got to meet & start dating Teddy 2 years later.

It was there that I met Dena (California), Katie (Florida), Taylor (Oklahoma), Danielle (Iowa), Michelle (N. Carolina), and Erin (Indiana). These girls were my best friends. Erin and I were roommates & that was DEFINITELY a God thing. We got along PERFECT and were incredibly close. Katie, Danielle, Michelle, (and erin) were in my small group bible study. We walked through this summer laughing, dancing, crying, praying, and celebrating Christ together. Taylor was only in my "cooking group"...but we became close because we both had boyfriends back home (Erin, Taylor, and I connected about this). I'm so grateful for that, because I see her the most now because she lives the closet. I was even in her wedding 2 years ago! Dena wasn't in any of my groups. We became close half way through project. This girl was in my wedding, if that tells you anything. We became attached at the hip. I have spent the past 4 1/2 years seeing each of these ladies almost once a year. Life changing friendships.

It was there, that I realized I can be a leader. The staff encouraged me & saw things in me that I didn't see. The Lord was revealing many things through the staff women.

It was there that I worked at Mcdonalds on the beach. It was the best job I had all through college...yes really. I enjoyed EVERY day. My bosses were great. My co-workers were from all over: Russia, Romania, P. Rico. I developed really fun relationships. I even met up with one of the Russian girls the next summer in New York City.

It was there I actually started journaling. I'm still not very good at it, but I can go back and read those journals now & just smile at where God has brought me.

It was there that I wore my first one piece bathing suit to a beach. Yep, it was from target and I LOVED that suit. Now 4 years later it makes COMPLETE sense why they ask the women to wear tankinis/one pieces. My view on modesty started changing that summer. I pushed the line that summer, even brought my two piece when they told us not too. I look back and laugh that I asked a couple guys if they wouldn't mind me wearing my two piece to Six flags. It was all girls & two guys...of course they said yes. Silly me. :)

It was there that I cried my eyes out the day we had to leave. We had lived together for 10 weeks. None of us wanted to leave. We cried and cried and cried. I use to watch the Real World (mtv) and would cry on the last episode, ONLY because it reminded me of THAT day when we had to depart from one another. We had all just experienced something VERY real for 10 weeks. It was hard to go home to people who didn't understand.

ok ok, i really could keep going.
If you have the opportunity to give support ($$) to a student going on Summer Project, I would say DO IT. You will be investing in something that is life changing. They will learn what it can look like to walk with the Lord for a life time. It truly can further God's Kingdom!

LIFE CHANGING!!


My bible study. We were probably the closet bible study there. Michelle, Me, Katie, Erin, and Danielle.



Dena and I at the final closing banquet :)


Katie, Me, Taylor in Boston. It became my favorite city in America!


My home-"The Gull"...2 blocks from the beach :)
GO ON SUMMER PROJECT!!!
www.gosummerproject.com


-Kells

1 comment:

Danielle said...

awwww....I loved this post!! Brings tears to my eyes to remember how God places you with certain people in certain places to guide and teach you. It is funny I read this tonight because I just got back from a small group at church and we were asked to have quiet time. Of course I know what this is all about BUT the leader said...ask God to meet you. I sat in that church, closed my eyes and asked God to meet me in my brokenness. I asked him to meet me just the way I was tonight, not prepared, not with my bible or journal, just me. He met me...all of a sudden I had tears streaming down my face realizing that I am walking around as if I can control my own life....in a way that I felt his love wrap around me. Of course we were asked if we want to share when we all came back together and I simply said with tears in my eyes "I've never asked God to meet me." I haven't. I can't recall a time I have said, God, can you please meet me....just the way I am right now. It was probably the most vulnerable I have been in a long time and of course with people I barely know.
God knew what he was doing because a lady then approached me afterward and said,"Thank you for sharing, you remind me so much of my daughter and the desire you have for God and the vulnerability you express is inspirational." God uses us....especially when we least expect it!

Thank you for writing about our wonderful memories that I forever treasure and think about often! I enjoy catching up with your life and I pray that God continues to use you in ways that will surprise you!