Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gracious Father

So in a previous post I talked about explaining what I do for my job. I am on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ at Texas Tech. When those words come out of my mouth, it doesn't mean much to people...not because they don't care, but because they have no clue what that means. Even just mentioning Texas Tech, people think I'm still in college. (graduated 3 years ago...whoa!)

Here at Texas Tech Campus Crusade for Christ is referred to Tech CRU. Saying CCC over and over can get old. Tech CRU works better :) I'm consider a missionary on the college campus. What does my week look like?

We have student leaders that each staff person meets with to disciple. At this point I have around 6 girls that I meet with consistently (every week or every other) to talk about life/struggles, to do evangelism around campus, to study the Bible, and ultimately try to point them back to Christ. This is what fills my schedule for most of the week.

Other things in my schedule include: Weekly staff prayer/breakfast on Tuesday 9-12pm, New Staff Development Thursday 10-12pm(a system Crusade has step up for us to be learning/reading/doing to continue our development as a missionary), Staff meeting on Friday 10-1pm. These are things that are set in my schedule. Every Monday morning I have time to fill in the rest of my schedule. I love doing this!

We give away lots of free things on campus as a ministry. When we head out free things we ask students to fill out cards that has their basic info (location on campus, email, phone #) and if they are interested in getting more information about growing spiritually this semester AND Would they be interested in being a Bible discussion group with other students (BIBLE STUDY). If they mark yes to either of these questions, I go and knock on their door to let them know what is going on.

It's usually during these conversations that we talk about Christ. I try to listen well to what the student is saying & ask questions to find out where they are coming from in life. I will try to share my faith using a tool called Knowing God Personally booklet. It's the gospel in 4 points & very easy to use. I've seen/heard many many people accept Christ because of the KGP. There are people on our staff team that became believers because of this booklet. Scripture is powerful...period.

Now for why I typed all that...
I experience insecurities within my job. I would assume that many people feel that way in their work. Because there is also someone who does things better, says the perfect thing, or has seen MANY people accept Christ with them. When I feel like I don't do this stuff well, I have insecurities creep in. A lot of my job is discipleship with young college women. There have been many times lately that I have felt like I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know what to say. And I don't know where to point them in scripture.

But the past 3 1/2 wks I have constantly reminded myself that I'm called to share Christ with people. We as believers are called to do this. So, by faith that's what I've been doing and the Lord has been showing up! I've shared my faith with multiple girls. I've seen one girl place her trust in Christ. PRAISE GOD! The others have not, yet. But I have had some of the most incredible conversation the past 3 1/2 weeks! The Lord has been gracious in letting me have honest/real conversations with random girls on campus & confirm that I'm being faithful to Him.

You can pray that these girls would trust Christ soon. You can pray that I would be faithful to my call to share Christ with others & trust that the other things will come with more time & training! :)

-Kells

No comments: