Monday, February 7, 2011

a day of reflection...

Six years ago to the day I received a phone call Monday evening that my friend Kedric Hobbs had passed away. I will never forget that phone call. I was walking into my dorm my freshman year.

This was my first time to experience any death. It hit hard. I just cried and cried. I didn't know how to handle it. I remember that Monday evening many people involved in Tech Cru gathered over at his house to just pray. You never expect something like that.

Kedric's death changed me though. I remember really relying on the Lord for the first time during college. I remember experiencing a community that surrounded me with love. I remember it being ok to just cry & miss school for a few days...I learned it was ok to not be ok. I learned to pursue friendships with purpose (like Ked). I got a glimpse into Kedric's amazing strong family as I attended the funeral. It was truly a celebration of life! I will never forget singing, "You give & take away, my heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be your name" at his funeral.

It's been six years. I think about him & his family a couple times year. I spent time praying this morning for his family. I wonder where or what Kedric would be doing now if he was still here?

He was a really great guy. He knew the Lord in a very deep way. I will never forget February 7, 2005 because of him.

You can read this to learn more about the great guy!: http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=2920243 to

Maybe you have had a day like this before, a day when something happened and you knew you would never be the same?

-Kells

No comments: