Thursday, October 20, 2011

I remember...

This morning I was reading a great article on one of my favorite websites (newer fav). I have posted about it before, but wanted to mention it again. I think you would really benefit from the website. It has been eye opening for me and just a great reminder as we continue to try and make wise decisions with our finances.

Today I read one of the popular posted called I remember... I thought I would make my own list. Check out his list. I related on many different levels.

::My list::
I remember getting my first debit card & check book when I was in 8th. This was the start of my "money management"

I remember my parents going through "getting out of debt Gods way" when I was in HS. I "suffered" through no cable during that time.

I remember getting my first credit card when I was a freshman in college. It had a $500 limit.

I remember trying to be on a budget during college, but not ever succeeding. I didn't see the purpose.

I remember Teddy and I going on fancy dates while dating. Our favorite was/is sushi. It was nothing to drop $50 in one evening on dinner.

I remember when we bought a Dave Ramsey book when we were engaged. Little did I know that my perspective on $$ was going to be changed forever.

I remember getting married and Teddy's debt becoming fully my debt too. We had my PERFECT diamond ring to pay off & his truck.

I remember sitting in our tiny first apartment on the couch trying to set our first budget. It was a mess, but some how we agreed to tackle our debt as fast as we could during our first year of marriage.

I remember spending $25/week on groceries...just enough for us to eat bare minimum. Nothing fancy here.

I remember after 6 months of being on our first budget we re-evaluated. We had heard another talk by Dave Ramsey and realized that we needed to drain our savings to $1,000 (emergency fund only) and put all the rest towards our ring payment (our smallest debt)

I remember THAT day conquering our FIRST debt. Now it was time to snowball that $$ towards the truck.

I remember paying at least $1,000 (or more) EVERY month towards the truck payment starting in October 2010-February 2011

I remember Teddy taking extra shifts at his job, just so we could put that money towards our debt. It wasn't for fun, it was for our debt.

I remember at the end of February 2011 paying our last truck payment. Teddy went to the bank to pay it off.

I remember totaling our payment towards debt & being shocked. We had spent $12,743.25 on debt (in 11 months). And we were excited knowing that we will be able to do more (giving, saving, and spending) the next year bc we don't have debt. 

I remember owing for taxes (first time in my life) April 2011 and not stressing about it because we had just become financially free & had the $ to pay for that.

We are living on our savings right now because we are in a time of transition into our new job with Campus Crusade....we can do this because we do not owe anyone anything.


So there you have it. My remember list. I love talking these things now.

One thing to mention. Teddy bought a home when he was 20 in Lubbock. So we technically own a home as well. The past two years it has been a rental home and I believe it will continue to be rental for college students. So we have a home mortgage as well. But, most financial advisers would tell you that a home mortgage is the "best" debt because you can actually make money off property. Teddy and I are still in discussion about buying a home some day down the road for us & our family. I think currently we are going to save and put down way more than 20% on a home. Hopefully, this will allow us to have a 15 yr mortgage & possibly even pay that off early too. So while most people buy a home right after they get married, we will not be. :)

You have your own story too! What is it?
-Kelli


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have been dreading the thought of getting a part time or seasonal job while I am home to help pay down my debt before I come on staff next summer, but reading your "I remembers" reminded me that I do have over $50,000 in student loans and I strongly desire to be debt free. I gotta go get that pt job to help me reach my goals. Loosing sleep and a social life now so I can rest easy and party like a debt free missionary later. Thanks for posting.