Thursday, September 1, 2011

NO technology hour


So there is a new rule in the Lytle home. Well, I say "rule" loosely because this is our testing week. But so far, so good.

The rule: Our first hour of being awake will be a technology free hour.

The main purpose: Is so that we can focus on the Lord, read scripture, discuss what we are learning (connecting spiritually as a couple), and pray first thing in the morning.

Why its necessary: I'm the type of person who will roll over in my bed, grab my smart phone and go through my routine (Facebook, Work email, Gmail, and Twitter). It forces me to "work" immediately when I wake up. I have messages to respond to. So what do I do? I get out of bed, get on my laptop to answer emails and waste mindless hours on there while the TV is on as well. HELLO DISTRACTION. What happens after this? My day gets going & I end up not spending any time with the Lord where there is absolute focus. Sure, I pray throughout the day...but I've realized over many years that it isn't enough for me.

We are two days in and already enjoying it. I will keep you posted.

What do you implement in order to have some focus time on the Lord daily?

-Kells

2 comments:

Laura Burrus said...

awwww...what a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I think I am going start doing that as well. You're so right, that it's easy to quickly go through the routine and then your mind is ready to work and you've totally missed your time with the Lord.

Unknown said...

Good idea. I had a similar strategy in college. No internet until I had spent time with Jesus. I need to start doing that again bc u are right you start checking stuff and ur day starts and you havent spent any time with Jesus.