Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Whole30 update #1


We just finished our 3rd day doing the whole30 diet. If you have no idea what I'm talking about check out my last blog here.

We are surviving through this. The first 2 days were pretty dang difficult. We had to run errands both days and I'm sooo used to just swinging through Mcdonalds and getting a coke while doing errands. Just doing normal every day things had become attached with some food or drink. (HELLO, I REALLY NEEDED THIS) I'm beginning to realize it doesn't have to be like that. Errands doesn't equal a trusty coke right next to me. Or sitting at starbucks for work doesn't mean I have to get a chi tea latte. Going to a dinner with friends doesn't mean I have to eat (prepping my heart for an Easter lunch coming up).

I had headaches the first two days. Teddy had a headache yesterday. We went to bed at 9:30pm on Monday because we were SO tired. Then went to bed at 10:30 last night. I don't know if its our body adjusting to no sugars and caffeine. I'm definitely feeling better today and obviously up past 10pm. :) I'm already feeling less bloated and have less cravings. I have moments of feeling hunger around 3:00pm each day. But I'm just drinking more water to shake that and waiting until dinner to eat. We aren't suppose to eat snacks on this diet.

Something that made the first 2 days hard is the fact that we were doing new recipes for all meals. That's just a TAD overwhelming. So we are scaling back & getting back to what we use to do. We use to eat chicken/fish with veggies before this diet. Why change everything? There was no need. So we aren't doing something brand new every single meal. This helps. So we are trying new things and new recipes here and there. But not going crazy like we did the first 2 days. Today was much easier and less stressful.

Here is what we have eaten the past 3 days. (Day 2 lunch was fish with basil & carrots Day 3 lunch was left overs)  If you want a recipe just message me and I will get it to you.
Day 1 Breakfast: Broccoli Hash (broccoli & ground chicken plus seasoning)--It was just OK.
  
Day 2 Breakfast: Gross. Spinach, ground turkey, eggs, spices and avacado quiche. It wouldn't finish cooking and we had to leave to get somewhere, so we took it our of the quiche dish and scrambled it on the stove.  We both couldn't finish it. Toooo much spinach for us.
Day 3 Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with an apple. --Good! This is getting back to the "basics"

Day 1 Lunch: Gross. Chicken, sweet potato, apple, onion, green pepper, seasonings. I couldn't finish this. Teddy had it for left overs the next day at lunch. Not I. :)




Day 1 Dinner: Chicken fajitas on a bed of spinach leafs, avacado, mango, jicama --GREAT



Day 2 Dinner: Veggie Spaghetti on spinach leafs (our "noodles")--GREAT

Day 3 Dinner: Hamburger, homemade guac on lettuce. Carrots and grapes on side. --GREAT

So all the dinners have been wonderful. Lunches ok and breakfast not so great (except for today). Tomorrow morning we are making an "egg loaf" for breakfast. It's basically a casserole that will last us for multiple days for breakfast, instead of having to wake up and cook each morning. This will save time and frustration. I will let you know how it is.

So, we are learning. It's getting better. We do have a lunch for Easter coming up with some friends. We are already planning on packing our own lunch. :) And saying NO NO NO to all the desserts we will be surrounded by.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually all these look like things I would eat and love. Im starting to see you as a picky eater. I would love to get some of these breakfast recipes.

Mera said...

Wow, you're not allowed to snack??? That is what gets me through the day: just some almonds, fruit or - my new favorite - cut up apple with almond butter.
I totally get the cooking frustration - when you spend all that time making something and it tastes nasty. Going back to the basics is a good idea from time to time, you know to reassure yourself that you can actually cook. :)
Good luck for Easter! I hope people will be considerate of your choices!

KLytle said...

I'm really not that picky honestly. All the ingredients in these meals are good. But mixed together it has been interesting. Plus, after talking to a few other people they think we aren't adding enough spices/herbs to help with flavor.

When I said gross, it's mostly due to bland taste. But our taste buds are also adjusting to real food...so that might have to do with it too. :)

I can send you the breakfast ones.