Tuesday, November 8, 2011

complex life

I received this in an email today. Good stuff...


Today's complex life is the deadliest enemy of listening. The result of our complexity is fragmentation, thinness, and the inability to concentrate or become deep about anything. Satan is the happiest heir of our technological age, and he enjoys slapping us about like a handball. I must resist him by deliberately choosing essentials and rejecting the gadfly activities that render me ineffective.

How do I learn to be a good listener to God? I must begin by giving Him time and attention. That is the crucial part of the battle. I must reject the siren calls that tell me to be everything to everybody, and simply concentrate on God. Next I must develop a sense of awe and reverence for God, which is a natural preparation for silence, which in turn is essential to proper listening. Once I develop an ear for God, I will be able to hear Him even in crowds and, as Brother Lawrence says, "Go forward even in sleep."

DAILY WITH THE KING

No comments: