Tuesday, October 23, 2012

TONS of stuff

so, yea..i'm busy.

Just realized it's been WELLLL over a month since my last post. I should've guessed this was going to happen. The fall is always just nuts. We are running from one thing to the next. Ministry has been great. What a treat to work with my husband. It's a major blessing. We enjoy spending time with students on the weekends and throughout the week.

So if you have been around my blog for any time period, you have seen me post about food/diet/lifestyle stuff in different seasons. Welllll we are back to doing something that is different and challenging and good. We are making the shift to being a non-processed family. What does this mean mostly...we cook & eat at home primarily. But not only do we cook, but we do a lot from scratch, made the shift to 100% Whole Wheat, organic and ditching old snacks for fruits/veggies/cheese. It's hard, but good. Did I mention I dropped sodas. WHAT?! Yes, I was drinking one coke a day for MONTHS. I went cold turkey and now on my 3rd week of just water. yahoo! (headaches were NUTS the first 2 days, but didn't occur on day 3)

Why the change...yet again? Well I've lived with abdomen pain for the last year and I was tired of it. I knew after eating clean in April (and feeling great) that I needed to change the way I ate. But to do the Whole 30 challenge again just didn't seem feasible with our schedule and lifestyle with students. So after stumbling upon www.100daysofrealfood.com and reading a little, I realized this family eats normal food, you know, food Teddy and I would both enjoy, with a healthy spin. Where as the Whole30 was a struggle at times to eat whatever we made. At this point we have enjoy everything except a soup we made last night. (we didn't even save the left overs because we knew we wouldn't eat them).

Here are all the recipes I've tried so far:
Refried Beans 
Kale Chips
Whole Wheat Biscuits
Granola Bars/Cereal
Berry Sauce (for yogurt)
Whole Grain Cornbread
Popcorn Trick
Whole Chicken in Crockpot
Applesauce
Fruit, Nut, Berry Muffins
Whole Wheat Pizza Pockets (teddy liked, I didn't)
Peanut Squash Soup (didn't like)
Enchilada (soo good)

So I mentioned abdomen pain up there. Well after multiple doctor visits, we had discovered that I have gallstones. :( So there is a high chance that I will have my gallbladder removed here in the next few weeks. I'm ready to be done with the pain I feel, especially after a high-fat meal. So that is another reason to say No to fast food and yes to cooking non processed stuff at home. I've had multiple gallbladder attacks in the last couple of weeks. I hear the gallbladder surgery is pretty short and sweet with only 3 incisions with about a 3-7 day recovery. So that is good. I will keep you posted & you can pray for this situation. I'm about 2 appointments out from figuring out for sure if I will have surgery or not.

Ok, that is enough for now. We'll see how I do as far as updating. If I have 3-7 days to recover from surgery, I will have a lot of couch time/computer time. :) I already thought in my head that I might sign up for netflix for that free one month for that time. So I can watch TV on my laptop to kill time. Anyways, check back soon to hear more about our new lifestyle change & how it's working for us.

-Kelli




1 comment:

Sydni said...

I hope you feel better Kelli! That sounds so uncomfortable :( If you sign up for Restaurant.com (or you might have to buy your first coupon), they'll give you a couple of offers, and one of them is to try netflix for free - and they'll give you a $50 restaurant.com gift certificate!