Wednesday, February 22, 2012

One Thousand Gifts

I don't read books often. I would like to make it more of a habit....turning off the TV/computer/cell phone and engaging in a book that challenges my heart to stand at attention to Christ. I'm fine with reading other books too, but I really enjoy books that open my eyes to my Lord.

One Thousand Gifts is doing JUST THAT. (click on words to head to the website)

The tagline for this book: A Dave to Live Fully right where you are!

I know I can say for many seasons of my life (good or bad) I'm always thinking of the next step. next purchase. next (new) friendships. next step in our marriage to grow in. next goal. Really, the next day. I have a hard time being fully right where I am at. To really slow down and enjoy the day the Lord has given me TODAY.

While, I don't think planning (I'm SUCH a planner) ahead is a bad thing. As a matter of fact it is a wise thing to do. But, I find myself daydreaming about the future instead of engaging with the present. The result of that is missing out on the little gifts the Lord has placed before me. Things that can bring me such JOY if I would stop and engage. Stop and Thank HIM for the little things/big things/the in between things.

There are so many implications of recognizing Grace in our every day life. This what the book is about. As you begin to recognize Grace in your every day life you start looking at things differently. The thing that pissed you off this morning...might appear different when you stop and recognize grace in the situation. She gave many examples of her kids and how they push her buttons often. But as we began this process of discovering grace daily things slowly changed. She changed.

She begins to list our 1,000 that are gifts. I'm going to start this list too. It will help me to thank God daily for the little things he has given me.

1) When my head hits my pillow in the perfect place. No adjustment needed!
2) The burn of (Mcdonalds) coke on my throat
3) The smell of fresh flowers
4) Natural light coming through windows inside my house
5) Chips & Ranch
6) New Mascara (makes my eyelashes look so different than old)
7) Mail (snail mail...i LOVE it. Bring on the junk...makes me feel like an adult)
8) Sharp knives for cooking/chopping. Makes things move quicker while cooking

This will be an on going list that I will add to through out the next couple of months. I'm determined to get to 1,000. :) And I love that I will have a place where they are all listed.

Read the book.  You don't even have to buy it...just go get a free library card and rent the darn thing. That's what I did. I love the library now!

-Kelli

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was actually thinking about how I need to be in the moment and asking the Lord what He wants from me in this season. I might check out the book...although i have a ton of books I need to read already in my room...lol.